20 Days to Ready: Back Up Your Docs (Day 1)
20 Days to Ready is a series of simple, daily tasks to help you better prepare for emergencies and protect your family when disaster strikes. Follow along, day by day, and you’ll be more ready (for just about anything) in a few short weeks.
ASSIGNMENT: Back Up Your Important Documents
In an emergency, your filing cabinet probably isn’t the first place you’d run to. But the loss of items such as pictures, passports, marriage certificates, wills and insurance policies can be a distressing consequence of a disaster.
The good news is that you can most likely fit all of your important documents on a tiny USB (“flash”) drive. To get started:
- Make copies and scans of important paperwork.
- Load the scanned copies onto a flash drive.
- Password-protect any sensitive data.
- Store copies of documents, or the flash drive, at home with emergency supplies.
- Store originals offsite – in a safe deposit box or with a trusted friend.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency says that these steps will help ensure you can readily access your important information in the event that you’ve evacuated your home.
Click here for more preparedness information and to follow along with more “20 Days to Ready” emergency preparedness tasks in the following days.
Recommended by the Editors: