Travel and vacation is great, but it can cost a lot of money. Whether its traveling to visit family or friends or a private getaway for two, the following tips may help to reduce trip expenses.
Tips for Cutting Vacation and Travel Costs
Depending on the trip, consider these cost-saving ideas:
- Booking early often gets the best rates on flights, accommodations, and rentals
- Being flexible with travel dates generally can get you better deals
- Online airline and travel websites can notify you of special deals
- Splitting the cost of accommodations or staying with relatives who live near your destination can cut your expenses significantly
- Bringing your own food to beaches and parks and using the cooking facilities where youre staying can lower your meal costs
- Asking a friend or family member to pet-sit instead of boarding animals helps avoid kennel fees
- Many auto insurance policies may cover your use of a rental car. There may be no need to pay for additional coverage, check your policy
- Traveling off-season can be a big cost-cutter
Another Idea House Swaps
House swapping for vacation is another idea that can save money. Heres how it works. Lets say someone in San Diego wants to visit New York City, and another person in New York City wants to visit San Diego. They work out an agreement to schedule their trips at the same time and stay in each others homes in the destination city.
The Internet has made home-swapping easy with home-exchange services listing thousands of residences in the United States and abroad. Here are a few things to keep in mind when considering a house-swap
- Not all services list homes in every area
- Plans generally need to be made a year or more in advance
- A trial weekend somewhere close to home can give you an idea if house swapping is for you
- Being flexible about locations and exchange dates gives you a better chance of finding something you want
- Homeowners insurance policies may not cover the visitors use
- Valuables should be removed from the house and stored in a safe deposit box
- A written agreement should be drawn up for the house exchange
- The homeowner should leave written instructions and the names and phone numbers of people who service the home, e.g., electricians, plumbers
- Location is a big factor in home swapping. A home in or near an area people are eager to visit, like a large city or the beach, will be in greater demand
Get A Quote
Get A Quick, Personalized Insurance Quote Today.
A great rate is just a few clicks away.