Hurricane Preparedness Checklist – Protect Your Property
Ways to Protect Your Property
- Ensure you have hurricane shutters, or 5/8-inch thick outdoor plywood boards for each window of your home.
- Install anchors and pre-drill holes for the plywood, so you can put it up quickly in the event of a storm.
- Install heavy duty bolts on the top and bottom of door frames for extra protection.
- Install hurricane straps or clips to help hold your roof to the walls of your home.
- Make sure your landscaping does not become a wind hazard by removing any diseased and damaged limbs from trees.
- Consider building a safe room in your home that can withstand high winds and flying debris. More information is available at FEMA.gov
If you’re an Allstate policyholder, you’ll also want to register with thethis will give you 24/7 access to your insurance policies, and let you report claims and track them.
Other posts in our hurricane preparedness checklist series:
If you’re looking for ways to protect your home, contact an Allstate agent today to discuss your options.