May is National Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month! As the weather begins to warm up and more motorcyclists get back on their bikes, its important to first take the proper precautions to ensure that their riding experience is both safe and enjoyable. Here are some tips for you to take into account before you hit the road again:
(All tips taken from: http://www.allstate.com/motorcycle-insurance/safety-tips.aspx)
Get Ready for Riding Season
- Test the lights, brakes, and turn signals.
- Check the oil and fuel levels.
- Make sure the mirrors are positioned correctly.
- Check the cables to make sure they aren’t worn or frayed.
- Lube the chain and adjust it according to the manufacturer’s specs.
- Try a rider-training course to brush up on your skills.
Invest in Good Gear
When you’re on the open road, there’s not much between you and the pavement. Wearing tough gear is always a smart move.
- Pick a high-quality helmet that fits well. If it doesn’t have a face shield, pair it up with goggles or glasses with safety lenses.
- Use safety as your excuse to shell out for that leather jacket. Get the pants while you’re at it. (We know black and bikes are a perfect match, but a bright color will help other drivers see you better.)
- Wear durable non-slip gloves.
- Invest in boots or sneakers that cover your ankles.
When You’re Out on the Road
Let’s be honest: There’s a lot of stuff out there that’s bigger than your bike. But there’s a lot you can do to help keep yourself safe while riding.
- Always wear a helmet that fits right. Pick one that has the DOT label, which shows that it meets federal safety standards.
- Know your bike’s limits.
- Stick to the speed limit.
- Don’t tailgate other vehicles.
- Use your signals.
- Be respectful of other drivers. Don’t weave through traffic or drive on the shoulder.
- Make sure other drivers can see you. Don’t ride in blind spots and always use your headlights.
- Brake smart. Use both brakes at the same time, slow and steady.
Have a smart and safe motorcycle season!
Photocredit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mauricedb/1345801234/ / CC BY 3.0