The Allstate Blog | Everyday Peace of Mind
Making a Difference Digest Volume 2
Every few weeks we will surface links from blogs and news sites around the web to highlight interesting links for our community members. Here are some great articles for this digest of Making a Difference.
- William Safire at the New York Times [http://www.nytimes.com] wonders, Why is there no universal hand sign for thank you? To help solve the problem he lists 10 candidates for a sign you can use to thank other drivers
- Many drivers prefer other hand signals which contribute to road rage. These are neat ways to help make the roads we share a friendlier place?
- This article talks about a site called All for Good which is currently being managed by Google. According to this great article, It has attracted the attention of a lot of non-profits who are looking for a place to share volunteer opportunities.
- What would you like to see in a site like this?
- Sean Stannard-Stockton writes about the numbers released by Giving USA [http://www.givingusa.org/] that showed a decrease in charitable giving between 2007 and 2008. However, given the economic downturn, charitable giving topped $300 Billion. This article is an interesting perspective about what the numbers really mean.
- It reminded me of our recent post, Volunteering, A Different Way to Donate, which shares ideas about How to Make a Difference if you cant donate money.
- This article talks about the efforts of National Geographic Kids to set a Guinness World Record for largest collection of clothes to recycle. It has instructions on how to recycle your denim.
- The Cotton Incs Blue to Green initiative is taking jeans and recycling them to turn into home insulation.